Set Sail for Autism is a three day event to raise awareness of autism within the sailing community and to raise funds to support the programs of the Autism Alliance of Michigan and the Autism Society of Macomb/Saint Clair. The event offers a unique opportunity for families affected by autism to experience the Bell’s Beer Bayview Mackinac Yacht Race. Set Sail for Autism includes a concert on the shores of the St. Clair River with prime fireworks viewing; a boat night reception with a viewing area and water taxi rides; and prime viewing of the start of the Bell’s Beer Bayview Mackinac Yacht Race. All events are in a secure location with private parking and secure viewing areas.
In addition to all the fun, one of the priorities of this event is to have one of the yachts competing in the race include ASD Crew members. We realize this will require identifying young adults with ASD who have sailing experience, are willing to train with the crew, and demonstrate they are capable of doing all that is required to compete. We are reaching out to captains who would be willing to take this on and to families that have young adults with autism, sailing experience, and who would consider crewing in the race.
Set Sail for Autism 2014 Events
- Thursday July 10th, 7-10 pm: Pat Dailey Concert at Acheson Seaway Terminal – fun-loving music in a spectacular setting on the St. Clair River and prime viewing of fireworks.
- Friday, July 11th, 5-10 pm: Boat Night Reception vinomondo Wine Bar and Brew Pub. ASD families and guests experience Boat Night in a secure viewing area on the Black River, with private parking, Water Taxi rides, food and refreshments.
- Saturday July 12th, Yacht Race start 9 am – noon: start of 2014 Bell’s Beer Bayview Mackinac Race. ASD families and guests experience the start of the race in a secure viewing area on the Black River with private parking, Water Taxi rides, food and refreshments.
- Monday July 14th: ASD Crew Members leave for Mackinac Island.
- Tuesday July 15th: ASD Crew Members participate in Awards Ceremony on Mackinac Island.
- Wednesday July 16th: yachts with ASD Crew Members depart Mackinac Island.
- Wednesday and Thursday night: stopover in designated ports.
- Friday July 18th: arrive back in Port Huron.
Please join AAoM for the beginning of the race on Saturday Morning!
ASD families can enjoy the start of the race in a secure viewing area on the Black River with private parking, water taxi rides, food & refreshments!
AT: Vinomondo’s Wine Bar & Brew, 104 1st Street (At Vantage Point) Port Huron
Please fill out the form below, thank-you!