- This event has passed.
Peer to Peer Statewide Training
October 11, 2022 @ 9:00 am - 3:30 pm
Location: In-Person at the Kellogg Hotel and Conference Center in East Lansing, MI
Address: 219 S Harrison Rd, East Lansing, MI 48824
Registration Fee: $25 (includes lunch)
SCECHs: 5.5 Hours
- There is no additional cost for SCECHs
- SCECH sign-up and more information will be provided at the training
This module provides participants with information about systems for establishing a peer to peer support program to increase opportunities for students with ASD to access general education settings and curriculum. Peers model typical academic and social behavior in educational environments throughout the school day and provide support for students with ASD to promote independence and socialization. Peer to peer support programs and inclusion of students with ASD not only impacts outcomes for students with ASD, but has a powerful impact on typical peers and at-risk students. The specific steps for developing a peer to peer support program will be presented including: recruitment, training and maintenance and includes the concept of medium of exchange as a way to connect students.
- Gain an understanding of the core components of a successful peer to peer support program.
- Understand the crucial elements for recruiting peers to participate in a peer program.
- Learn the crucial elements for supporting a peer to peer support program
- Learn the crucial elements for maintaining a peer to peer support program.
- Gain an understanding of Medium of Exchange and how to use it within peer programs.
- Lindsey Harr-Smith, M.A., CCC-SLP- Autism Education & Intervention Specialist – Consultant
- Carrie Carr, M.A.; Curriculum & Instruction – Consultant
Cancellations must be submitted in writing to email@example.com. Phone cancellations will not be accepted. Refunds will not be issued after September 30, 2022.