Diversity, equity, and inclusion are more than words, they are the principles guiding how we build our community. Autism Alliance of Michigan is working towards a more accepting future for all people by cultivating a world rich in diverse abilities, talents, and ideas.
The Diversity Equity and Inclusion committee was developed to help make AAoM a more diverse and inclusive organization internally and operationally externally.
Some of our accomplishments have been.
- Developed a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion mission statement to guide the committee
- Attended conﬂict resolution training and shared strategies with staff
- Participated in an Implicit Bias training
- Participated in DEIC Training from Dr. Meadows
- Coordinated presentations and staff discussions on Implicit Bias
- Reviewed Employee Handbook and made recommended changes to make it more inclusive, verbiage appropriate, and culturally sensitive.
- Developed an anonymous email staff can use to report concerns
- Initiated all staff Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity Assessment
- Contribute monthly newsletter articles regarding how diversity, equity, and inclusion affect the disability community and communities of color.
- Shared videos, articles, and workshops with staff to educate staff on issues and concerns.
- Scheduled Diversity training for committee and staff with an outside trainer scheduled for April
- Develop a proposed diversity statement that represents AAOM’s view
- Review recruiting practices and employment candidate recruitment, in the process
- Scheduled regular voluntary “difﬁcult conversations” between staff
Although there is still a lot of work to do, the committee has made great strides.