Sensory-Friendly Saturday is an event designed for guests on the autism spectrum and with other sensory processing disorders. For this event, a variety of accommodations, activities and more have been put into place to create an inclusive, welcoming and safe space for our guests. Prior to this event, staff members of The Henry Ford participated in Autism Alliance of Michigan’s safety training to better understand the characteristics of autism and how to recognize and communicate with someone with autism.
The event included:
- A quiet area with activities for Day Out With Thomas™ in Town Hall.
- Noise-canceling headphones and earplugs for use during your visit
- An event map showing locations of loud sounds and available activities
- The Autism Alliance of Michigan was pleased to staff a resource table
- Autism Alliance of Michigan also provided social narratives for Greenfield Village (PDF) and Day Out With Thomas Social Narrative (PDF) showing what families might see, hear, smell, taste, and touch.
About ASK’s Walk for Autism
AAoM was pleased to be the presenting sponsor of Autism Support of Kent County’s annual Walk. It was a beautiful day to visit the John Ball Zoo and visit with our families and friends in Grand Rapids!
Interested in partnering with AAoM on your upcoming event? Contact Info@aaomi.org. Need information on autism services and resources in your area? Call us at 877.463.2266!